Minor in African American Studies
1. Required Course: All minors must satisfactorily complete
AFAM 205 Introduction to African American Studies
2. Elective Group A: All minors must also satisfactorily complete at least two of the following Group A courses (a minimum total of six credit hours).
- ENGL 349 African American Literature
- HIST 310 African American History to 1865
- HIST 311 African American History since 1865
- HIST 312 (409) The Modern Civil Rights Movement OTHER: Any Independent Study, Senior Research Project, Internship, or special topics course whose primary focus is the African-American experience and which is approved by the Director of the Program.
3. Elective Group B: All minors may take, and count toward the minor, up to two (a maximum total of six credit hours) of the following Group B courses.
- ANTH 202 Cultural Anthropology
- ENGL 340 Southern Literature to 1900
- ENGL 348 Twentieth Century Southern Literature
- HIST 316 Old South
- HIST 317 New South
- PSCI 307 Southern Politics
- PSCI 341 African Affairs
- PSCI 462 Constitutional Law: Civil Rights and Liberties
- PSYC 305 Social Psychology
- SOCI 304 Minority Group Relations
4. Projected Course of Study: Students interested in earning the minor will be instructed to file a declaration of intent with the director of the program by the end of the first semester of the junior year. This declaration will outline the projected course of study and will be approved by the director. In addition to approving this projected course of study, the director will assume responsibility for publicizing the program and for monitoring each student’s progress toward fulfilling the requirements of the minor; in this latter capacity, the director will be responsible for verifying that the student has met the requirements of the minor and for notifying the Records Office to that effect. Total Credit Hours Required—15, at least 9 of which must be completed at The Citadel.
- For further information, please contact Dr. Knight in the Department of History.