COMING FALL 2019
THE SWAIN BOATING CENTER
Revised June 2018
The Citadel officially broke ground on March 22, 2018 for the Swain Boating Center, the new state-of-the-art facility that will replace The Citadel Yacht Club, which was recently demolished after having fallen into disrepair. The new boating center will provide cadets, graduate students, faculty, and staff with unprecedented access to the Ashley River and all the athletic, recreational, and educational opportunities it affords.
The modernized Swain Boating Center will be available for use by cadet clubs and will function as a premier event space both on campus and through the Charleston community.
Shoreline enhancement was completed in May and now has a new floating dock that will accomodate small sailboats, power boats and canoes once opened.
The Citadel Boating Center began as the Citadel Yacht Club and has been in existence since the 1920's. Access to the facility began as a small creek meandering through the marsh - accessible at high tide only. Through the efforts of then President General Mark Clark the channel was constructed in 1955 for better access to the Ashley River.
For further inquiries, please contact the Boat Center Operator at (843) 953-6849.